Saturday, February 5, 2011

Look Back: The Music of Square SNES Games

Without a doubt, my favorite game system of all time is the SNES. It had an absolute abundance of amazing titles, too many for me to even attempt to list them all. And where there's great games, great game music is sure to follow. For this blog post, I'm going to focus particularly on the games of Square (now Square Enix).

Some game developers, in my mind, become almost synonymous with certain systems because of the library of awesome games they create on those systems. Rare with the N64, Valve with the PC, and Square with the SNES are some examples for me. The SNES was a hotbed for amazing RPG games, and Square was right in the thick of it, developing a number of incredible RPGs for the venerable console. Below, I've embedded a song from six different Square RPGs for the SNES. Each game had so many great tunes that I could have easily picked 7 or 8 per game, but I've got to stop myself somewhere, right? Enjoy!

Final Fantasy IV

Boss Battle Theme - composed by Nobuo Uematsu



Secret of Mana

What the Forest Taught Me - composed by Hiroki Kikuta



Super Mario RPG

Nimbus Land - composed by Yoko Shimomura



Secret of Evermore

Ivor Tower (The Town) - composed by Jeremy Soule



Chrono Trigger

600AD (Yearnings of Wind) - composed by Yasunrori Mitsuda



Final Fantasy VI

Locke's Theme - composed by Nobuo Uematsu

AddThis

Share |