Saturday, March 5, 2011

3LL's 25 Favorite Legend of Zelda Songs


To me, the Legend of Zelda series is video games. Everything I love about video games and everything I feel videos games should be are characterized in Zelda. Unquestionably, it's my favorite series of all time. If you were to ask me my top five favorite games of all time, three of them would be Zelda games (A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask, in case you were curious which three). I've been playing games all of my life, and nothing invokes a more overwhelming sense of nostalgia in me than Zelda music. That's why, in honor of the 25th anniversary of the Legend of Zelda, I decided to compose a list of my 25 favorite song in the series.

Given the breadth and richness of the Zelda soundtracks, this was obviously no easy task. There are certainly a great deal of wonderful songs that I couldn't fit into this list, and perhaps even more that slipped my mind to even consider. I selected these songs not based on which I think are generally the best or greatest, but on which I have the deepest personal connection and reverence to; simply put, my personal favorites.

The name of each track is a link to a YouTube upload of the song. I only ordered the top ten songs, the rest are in no particular order.

#25 - #11, in no particular order

Mabe Village (Link's Awakening)

Realm Overworld (Spirit Tracks)

Hyrule Field (Ocarina of Time)

Ocean (Wind Waker)

Shop (Ocarina of Time)

Guessing Game House (A Link to the Past)

Overworld (Adventure of Link)

Title Theme (A Link to the Past)

Calling the Four Giants (Majora's Mask)

Windmill Hut (Ocarina of Time)

Game Over (Legend of Zelda)

Clock Town Day 3 (Majora's Mask)

Mini Game (Ocarina of Time)

Hyrule Field (Twilight Princess)

Opening Demo (A Link to the Past)

#10) Clock Tower (Majora's Mask)

More so than any other video game (much less Zelda game), Majora's Mask brings you into its world and compels you to experience every emotionally resonant trial and tribulation of its characters. Despair, hope, sadness, love, longing, loneliness, mortality, redemption, and much more in between. In one of the game's early moments, we are treated to this piece. You'll recognize the Song of Healing within it, which serves as a sonic and thematic motif for the rest of the adventure.

#9) Linebeck's Theme (Phantom Hourglass)

Link has had a lot of sidekicks in his quests over the years: Navi, Midna, and even Zelda herself. My favorite, though, is Linebeck from Phantom Hourglass. His theme is just like his character: boisterous and adventurous, but with an underlying goofiness. Even though his grandson, Linebeck III, makes an appearance in Spirit Tracks, hopefully we'll see the original show up in a game again at some point in the future.

#8) Kokiri Forest (Ocarina of Time)

Whenever I hear this song, I'm taken back to the first time I picked up Ocarina. Just running around exploring Kokiri was an amazing experience. It's a wonderfully care-free few moments before you have to leave Kokiri and the story expands considerably in both scope and stakes.

#7) Hyrule Castle (A Link to the Past)

All good video game music is supposed to set a certain mood, and this theme undoubtedly accomplishes that goal. It sounds just as you'd imagine an enemy stronghold would: imposing, with a militant drive that conjures up images of a conquering army. The song certainly adds a sense of urgency when you know you're in the middle of the castle, surrounded on all sides by guards.

#6) Kakariko Village (A Link to the Past)

A perfect town theme; calm, serene, and soothing. A welcome escape from the danger that seems to lurk around every bush of Hyrule. The tune is reprised a few more times in later Zelda games, serving as a de facto town theme, and it's great in every iteration.

#5) Dragon Roost Island (Wind Waker)

Wind Waker was such a departure from previous Zelda games that it took everyone a little while to accept it, much less love it. But once most people got a chance to play it, that's just what happened. The spirit of WW, I feel, is captured in the Dragon Roost Island theme. It's breezy, organic, and unlike anything you've ever heard before in a Zelda game. I defy you to listen to it and not find yourself whistling along (unless you can't whistle, of course).

#4) Palace (Adventure of Link)

Although Adventure of Link has gained a reputation as being the outcast game of the series, this song has endured as one of its finest. It's dynamic, and you can just feel the action in the music. The side-scrolling style of Adventure of Link emphasized action game elements a lot more than its predecessor, and the Palace theme certainly reflects that.

#3) Overworld (A Link to the Past)

What do I really need to say about this one? It's one of the most recognizable and iconic songs in video game history. In my opinion, it was never more powerful than in A Link to the Past, so that's the version I included on this list.

#2) Dungeon (Legend of Zelda)

The perfect sonic manifestation of exploring a dark and ominous cavern. It sounds like you're delving deeper and deeper into a winding labyrinth, which is accentuated by a foreboding sense of dread brought on by the the bass. No dungeon/temple/palace/whatever theme has yet matched this arrangement.

#1) Dark World (A Link to the Past)

An absolute masterpiece. My favorite song from my favorite game of all time. Powerful, iconic, exhilarating... there is no praise too hyperbolic for this song. Incredible.

AddThis

Share |